15/02/2012

I got a partial thyroidectomy for my birthday...

In the category for most original birthday gift, I definately win.
One day I found a lump in my neck, went to see my GP and he concluded that it had to by thyroid (ah so that's where the thyroid is was my only thought...) almost a year went by, the first punction was fine, then the second punction... I forgot the appointment, what a fail; Came back for a second-second punction and didn't expect anything weird coming from it. Then the docter told me she wanted the thyroid to be partially removed to check if it was cancerous. Can you imagine my shock?
An appointment with the surgeon was made, he said it could be done fairly quickly, he had an open spot only a few days later! However, it was my birthday that day. Fine with me, and so I went, on my birthday. I don't think I've ever received so many birthday wishes, since half of the hospital staff came by to wish me well and to wish me a happy birthday!

I went there at 8.30 in the morning, nurse directed me to my room and there was my OR-shirt ready for me. Yikes... Also a calming pill (1 pill of dormicon I think), which was welcome and there we went.



All went very well, apparently I woke up quite quickly but I don't remember that, I do remember annoying the nurses because I kept pulling out something they stuck in my nose.



I had a visitor who dropped by several times a day.



After a night in the hospital I returned home. A whole week followed of recovery in which I could barely moved my head or tilt it. I had never realised how many muscles you use while moving your head! Then after a week and a half the bandage was removed and the scar became visible. It's a tiny scar and I have good hopes that it will be hardly visible in a year from now.



And the results from the operation? All was well, fortunately it was not cancerous. I don't think I've ever been that relieved.

For my birthday, I have the best boyfriend ever! We celebrated one day early, he got me a gorgeous bag filled with all kinds of goodies, from magazines to facial masks and Rituals shower/bath products. Oh and chocolate, loads of chocolate!
He also gave me another two of those vintage looking metallic commercial plates. I love those <3 I'll blog about that later though ;)



My friends and family gave me very nice gifts as well, I received a Sabon scrub. I love Sabon! And I received gift certificates from my favourite webshop, from which I ordered a bunch of stuff, amongst others, this:



Also, my dad and his girlfriend gave me a Tamron 18-200 objective for my Canon camera! I'm soooo thrilled! I'm not too good at handeling it though, so if anyone has some tips on great tutorials, I'm looking forward to hearing about them.

And on top of that, the next day, my boyfriend gave me another bag, which he knew I liked. Yay! I'm a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...